Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Artist Statement


Looking back on this year, I'm quite proud of all I accomplished. The photos I created were creative and unique. I've learned a lot more about myself and what I enjoy to photograph. Coming into the year, I felt that my favorite thing to photograph was my dog. But now, I realize that I would much rather deal with nature.  

My final self portrait project was a way to express myself a little better. I'm fun and quirky and not afraid to laugh at myself sometimes. My cats, Ianto and Spock, are my favorite subjects and so I felt the need to showcase them in my portraits as well; they're the things I love the most. I feel that the dinosaurs helped to show the more artistic and wacky side of me that I generally only let a select few see. 

My dad has always taught me that you do not edit any of your work; a true photographer has the eye to do it right the first time. He went to Brooks and he's my greatest inspiration to keep creating. But as I spend more and more time editing my work, I've started to realize that sometimes it can make the photograph even better. I really enjoyed doing clones and without photoshop, I could have never achieved those. 

I honestly don't think I did enough this semester. Everything went by so fast and I lost track of time. I would have loved to take more macro photography and more portraits. While I won't be able to continue this independent study next term, I will continue to post photos to this blog and continue to explore more about myself. 

I hope that more people get into photography and choose to take it seriously. So many people now a days just take their phones, take a couple of selfies, and call it art. To me, it's so much more. It's about discovering who you are and learning something new every time you go out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment